We go through so much hummus that I decided to perfect a homemade recipe to save a few bucks.
Hummus is a staple, not only because the kids adore it but it’s packed with power nutrients and it is both dairy and gluten free for my tiny.
While this recipe isn’t perfect, yet, I’m getting very close. The major problem is I’m not sure I’m saving money because the oils I use are pricey! But knowing that there are no preservatives, no waste of packaging and I can make on the fly are all big bonuses.
It is super easy and kid approved; even by picky H.
- One 15 oz can of chick peas
- Two tablespoons tahini
- One juicy lemon (just the juice and a little pulp)- roll it on the counter to get the juices really flowing. If you accidentally drop a seed or two in the mix, the blender will take care of it
- A few pinches of sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or olive oil but I like the avocado better)
- One tablespoon of the chick pea juice
- sprinkle of garlic salt or granulated garlic (or fresh garlic if you have it)
Simply blend them until super smooth and chill for thirty minutes. We enjoy with pretzels, cucumbers, carrots, celery, peppers or apple slices. I’ve been using them on my wraps instead of guacamole and it’s incredible!
Enjoy and share your recipe.